Why should I visit Mill Creek MetroParks?
Located in the heart of Youngstown, Ohio, Mill Creek MetroParks sprawls across 4,400 acres along the namesake Mill Creek. Founded in 1891, Mill Creek MetroParks is the second-largest Metropark in the United States, second only to Central Park in New York City. Mill Creek MetroParks offers a wide range of activities, beautiful scenery, and historic landmarks.
8 Facts about Mill Creek MetroParks?
- Mill Creek MetroParks is located in Youngstown, Ohio and surrounding suburbs.
- Mill Creek MetroParks is the second largest Metropark in the United States (second only to Central Park in New York City)
- The park was founded in 1841 by local Youngstown attorney Volney Rogers who worked to secure the land and grants.
- The famed Olmsted Brothers played a part in designing Mill Creek MetroParks.
- Mill Creek Golf Course is a 36-hole course designed by professional golfer Donald Ross and opened to the public in 1928
- The historic Lanterman’s Mill was built in 1845. The mill is fully functional and can be toured during the summer months.
- Three (3) lakes can be found in Mill Creek MetroParks. Lake Newport, Lake Cohasset, and Lake Glacier are all connected by Mill Creek and span over 130 acres combined.
- Mill Creek MetroParks features 16 miles of hiking trails.
What type of activities can I do in Mill Creek MetroParks?
- Mill Creek MetroParks offers a wide range of activities for all types of visitors. The park contains over 15 miles of hiking trails which stretch the full length of the park.
- Kayakers can launch and kayak on Lake Glacier and Lake Newport. Mill Creek MetroParks offers kayaks and paddle boat rentals during the summer months.
- Fishing is an authorized activity on all three lakes and along the creek within Mill Creek MetroParks.
- Ride bikes within the park or along the Mill Creek Metroparks Bikeway. Bikes can be rented from Trailside Bicycle located near the bikeway. For questions on bike rentals contact Trailside Bicycle Company at 330.503.4690.
- Picnic in the park. There are close to 100 picnic tables spread across Mill Creek MetroParks. Some picnic areas include charcoal grills and bathrooms
- Tour Mill Creek MetroParks on the Cohasset Express trolley car. Additional information can be found on Mill Creek MetroPark’s Website.
- Play a round of golf at Mill Creek Golf Course.
- The newly renovated (2023) Ford Nature Center offers an array of activities geared towards children and young families. Options include a Nature Exhibit Hall, a Bird Observation Room, the Native Wildflower Meadow, and the Axtman Trail for All People (a paved trail is designed to provide people of all abilities access to the naturally wooded areas surrounding the Ford Nature Center.)
Does Mill Creek MetroParks have a Visitors Center?
Yes, Mill Creek MetroParks visitor center is located within the D. D. and Velma Davis Education & Visitor Center at Fellows Riverside Gardens. Click here for directions.
How many people visit Mill Creek MetroParks every year?
The Visitor Center at Fellows Riverside Gardens reports Mill Creek MetroParks receives around 400,000 visitors a year. (Source)
What is the best time of the year to visit Mill Creek MetroParks?
The best time to visit Mill Creek MetroParks is late spring through fall.
Is Mill Creek MetroParks dog friendly?
Yes! Leashed, friendly, dogs are allowed within Mill Creek with the exception of buildings, visitor center, and Fellows Riverside Garden. Be sure to clean up after your dog. A dog park can be found on West Golf Drive near the golf course (Click here for directions)
Can I camp in Mill Creek MetroParks?
Are there cabins or lodging within Mill Creek MetroParks?
No, Mill Creek MetroParks does not offer any cabins or lodging within the park.
Is there Cellular and WiFi availability within Mill Creek MetroParks?
Yes, due to the parks proximity to Youngstown, Ohio, you can often rely on cellular service within the park. There are areas within the park, specifically the Mill Creek Gorge area, where coverage may be weak or spotty.
Wifi availability can be found at the visitor center and the golf course restaurant.
Are there any restaurants within Mill Creek MetroParks?
Mill Creek MetroParks features two restaurants within the park.
- The Garden Café by Kravitz can be found within the D. D. and Velma Davis Education & Visitor Center at Fellows Riverside Gardens. They offer an array of sandwiches, soups, and salads. Sit outside and enjoy views of Lake Glacier and Fellows Riverside Gardens.
- Hole 55 Bar & Grille is located at the Mill Creek Golf Course. They offer breakfast and lunch options along with beer and wine.